- Correct URL optimization
- A bit of theory: what is a URL?
- How to spell page URL correctly
- A correctly compiled URL is not a panacea
Correct URL optimization
About that internal site optimization must be at the highest level. Of course, you have heard more than once before. After all, all websites about SEO, including ours, tirelessly repeat this.
Today we want to tell you about one rather rarely mentioned point - that a correctly compiled page URL is an equally important indicator of its relevance and factor, which is readily taken into account when ranking search results.
Unfortunately, a fairly substantial part of webmasters forgets or may not even know how to correctly spell the page URL. Many are used to relying on the automatic functions used by CMS, which in most cases do this wrong.
This article is definitely useful to you if the page addresses on your site look something like this:
A bit of theory: what is a URL?
In literal translation URL. Uniform Resource Locator) is a unified resource address.
In simpler words, then - This is a standardized way to record the location (s) of all existing Internet resources (files, pages, websites).
The full address always starts with a network protocol. For example, protocol https or most often http. Although there are about 30 less commonly used varieties (ftp, irc, xmpp, etc.).
In most modern browsers, http is lowered. You can make sure that you have a correctly compiled URL if you copy and paste it somewhere.
Further, the data transfer protocol is followed by a domain and a specific path to the Internet resource (to a file or page). And that’s exactly with the correct prescription of this path and the optimization of the URL consists.
How to spell page URL correctly
- A correctly compiled URL must contain keywords. In addition to what is selected domain name to promote is very important and should contain the main key request of the site, each page also needs to include a request by which it is progressing.
And this will take into account not only search engines.
Matches on the request entered in the search bar are highlighted in bold not only in the name and description of the site, but also in the address. Therefore, if you write the URL correctly, Internet users will also pay attention to it in the search results and will take into account when forming their opinion about the relevance of the page and the possibility of switching to it.
- Optimization of page URLs, from the point of view of SEO, involves the use of no more than 3 - 5 words in the address. Long links are not fully displayed in the output (cut off) and reduce the weight of keywords in the eyes of search engines.
- Do not use too deep page overlay level. Even if the page is five to six steps from the main one, it is advisable to correctly prescribe the URL - to remove unnecessary references to the category, headings, etc. from the addresses.
An increased number of attachment levels in the URL not only increases its length and reduces the weight of key players, but also has a bad effect on the perception of the generated address by visitors. It is difficult to understand and almost impossible to remember.
- There are recommendations about the most correctly spell URL with file extension at the end (".html", ".php", etc.). Although this statement is rather controversial, because for search engines it probably doesn't matter. Unless it becomes clear to a person that the page on which he is located is the final point and you can’t go deeper.
- In order to spell out the URL of a page consisting of more than one word, as dividers it’s better to use hyphens, not lower underscores. While Google is doing fine with their recognition, for Yandex, hyphens are still preferable.
- A correctly compiled URL should contain only characters registered in the lower case.. If you do not adhere to this recommendation, there may be problems with indexing pages.
- Using Cyrillic characters is permissible, but undesirable. Since they are only visually displayed in the address bar in the same form as you want to write the URL of the page. In fact, each Russian letter is transcoded in the form of six characters.
Therefore, in SEO, to have a correctly compiled URL, recommended to use only Latin characters and numbers in the addresses of the pages.
- URL optimization also means only one address for each page.. If there is a problem with automatic generation, duplicate pages need to close from indexing and use attribute rel = "canonical" to indicate canonical versions.
- Correctly writing a URL is easy, but you must not forget that keywords are taken into account when evaluating particular their use. That is, if on the page (in the text and headers) you have a search query 8 times and this is the maximum allowable amount in a particular case, then 9 -th time in the address will be a clear change. Therefore, in the text you need to use the key on 1 times less.
- It’s not necessary to correctly spell the URL manually. For example, in WordPress, you can configure the automatic formation of the address of the created page by transliteration of the used H1 header using the Cyr-To-Lat plugin.
A correctly compiled URL is not a panacea
It is not worth hoping that only the optimization of the URL according to the above recommendations will immediately raise the pages of your website in the TOP.
Remember that this is only one of the elements that affect the search promotion.
Therefore, make sure that each page of your site always has a correctly compiled URL and continue to work in all other areas of optimization that abounds with SEO!