- Favicon for the site: what is it
- Where the favicon is displayed and why is it needed
- What should be the favicon
Favicon for the site: what is it
The term "Favicon"crafted from the words of the English language:" favorite ", which means" favorite "or" chosen one, and "icon" - "sign. Literally, this combination can be translated as “a badge for the chosen one”. In simple words, what does this mean in SEO terminology, then favicon is a small picture near the site address, a kind of "identification mark.
It has a miniature size (16x16 pixels), and a recognizable original design.
Where the favicon is displayed and why is it needed
The Favicon is also called the “site icon” or “favicon”. It is displayed in:
- open tab and bookmark panels browser before the page title;
- site browsing stories;
- in search engine Yandex and Google.
Such an icon:
- increases brand awareness, if combined with the logo;
- helps the user navigate the browser tabs and bookmarks;
- improves view snippet and increases percentage of clickability.
What should be the favicon
Initially, images in .ico format, measuring 16x16 px, were used as a favicon. But now many CMS systems support other formats: .png, .jpeg, .svg. Size can reach up to 250x250 px. The main thing is that the drawing does not lose its clarity when reduced.
In this case, the icon must:
- be original and associated with your company;
- match subject and site design;
- be simple and understandable;
- have a square shape.
It can be invented independently, ordered to be developed by designers, or downloaded from a specialized bank (as an example, from the Flecaton gallery).